Drogba insists he has yet to finalise Chelsea return
Didier Drogba says he is still in discussions with Montreal Impact over his future, saying a report that he had retired from playing to rejoin Chelsea as assistant to Guus Hiddink was premature.
Chelsea declined to comment on a report by French sports daily L'Equipe on Wednesday night which stated Drogba was quitting playing in Major League Soccer to return to London.
And the 37-year-old, who has a year to run on his contract with the Canadians, said discussions were ongoing over his future.
Drogba wrote on Twitter:
Lovely to receive these messages but I have not yet announced my retirement & am still in discussion with @impactmontreal about my future.— Didier Drogba (@didierdrogba) January 6, 2016
Montreal would be reluctant to let their talisman leave, but he has emotional ties to Stamford Bridge, where he enjoyed two spells.
He has been repeatedly linked with joining the Blues for a third time since Hiddink was appointed interim boss last month after Jose Mourinho left Chelsea for a second time.
The former Ivory Coast striker, who watched the first match since the departure of Mourinho alongside Hiddink and owner Roman Abramovich against Sunderland on December 19, has a rich history with Chelsea.
Drogba scored 164 goals in 381 appearances for the Blues, 157 of the strikes coming in 341 appearances in his first spell, which concluded with the 2012 Champions League victory in Munich.
He left Chelsea for two seasons after his silverware-laden eight-year spell and has won four Premier League titles, four FA Cups and three League Cups with the Blues.
Drogba had joined Chelsea in the summer of 2004 from Marseille and had short spells with Shanghai Shenhua and Galatasaray in between his stints at Stamford Bridge.
He returned in opposition with the Turkish side in March 2014 and while confirmation of his third spell at Chelsea - this time as a coach - has yet to be confirmed, it is clear that he is being lined up to play a role in the club's long-term future.