Burnley star begs for forgiveness after homophobic tweet

Andre Gray.jpg
Andre Gray.jpg

Burnley star Andre Gray said he wanted to ask for "forgiveness" after homophobic tweets he offered up back in 2012.

In a statement on his Twitter account on Saturday the 25-year-old said he had changed in recent years, and is trying to become "a better person".

This is the tweet that caused offence and it has since been deleted:

In a lengthy post Gray, who did not refer to the exact content of the posts, said: "The tweets were posted four years ago when I was a completely different person to the man I am now.

"I was at a very different point in my life back then - one that I've worked hard to move on from.

"I have a lot of regrets regarding a number of things I've done in the past and realise I have made some big mistakes, none more so than these tweets, but I would like to stress that I've worked incredibly hard to completely transform my life since that time.

"To clarify, I do not hold the beliefs written in those tweets whatsoever. I can assure everybody that I am absolutely not homophobic and as said previously I can only apologise and ask for forgiveness to anyone I offended."

The tweets, which are said to have been deleted, were posted before he joined Burnley.

The club released a statement saying it does not condone "discriminatory behaviour" but added "these are social posts from four years ago, and in this time he has completely transformed his life".