SportSoccer

3,000 extra security staff hired for Euro 2016 following Brussels atrocities

SoccerBy Sunday World
Fans on Stade de France field following explosions outside the stadium in November
Fans on Stade de France field following explosions outside the stadium in November

French President Francois Hollande says that private security firms have hired an additional 3,000 people for the European Championships this summer.

After last week's Brussels attacks that killed at least 35 people, French authorities decided to continue with Euro 2016 from June 10 to July 10 as planned, including the fan zones where spectators gather to watch games on large screens.

Mr Hollande said that 2.5million people are expected to attend the matches in 10 French cities, and about 5million are expected to visit the open-air areas.

Referring to the high risk of attacks, Mr Hollande said in a speech to sports professionals in Paris that "we must show that sport, like culture, like our lifestyle, will not yield to this pressure and this threat".