Munster's Champions Cup game in Paris on Sunday has been postponed
Munster’s visit to Paris to face Stade Francais this Sunday has been postponed amid security fears in the wake of the terrorist attack on the French capital last Friday night.
The Top 14 champions took the decision to call off the Champions Cup Pool 4 fixture on the advice of the local police and announced the cancellation on social media.
Munster had been planning for the game to go ahead. The Irish province trained at UL and held their pre-match media conference earlier today.
They and organisers European Professional Club Rugby had expected to be informed about security arrangements tomorrow morning, but instead the game has been postponed.
EPCR called off all of the games due to be played in France last weekend, in which neither team will be involved and the game is likely to be played when those games are re-fixed. The most likely date is the last weekend in November.
“In light of to recent tragic events, Stade Francais don’t wish to complicate the situation for the public or complicate the work of the security forces and the government by organising a sporting event to bring together 15,000 people in the Stade Jean Bouin,” a club statement said. “The club has therefore decided to postpone the meeting.”
More than 500 Munster fans had bought tickets through official channels, while more had sourced them through Stade’s website.
Speaking before the postponement was confirmed, Munster coach Anthony Foley said: “Everybody's fully aware of what went on, everybody was watching the news and it's hard to fathom.
“First and foremost it's hard to put your head in it and then you have a lot of sympathy and respect for the people of Paris in terms of what they were put through.
“The game is only a small thing in the greater scheme of things but as a group we've talked about it to the leadership group and from a sportsman's point of view I think it's important that we're all united in it.”