SportOther Sports

We'll know for sure if McGregor v Aldo is on next week

Other SportsBy Sunday World
Will we see the two face off in Las Vegas?
Will we see the two face off in Las Vegas?

The possibility of Conor McGregor fighting Jose Aldo for his UFC belt on July 11 will be confirmed once and for all next week.

MMAFighting carry quotes from Aldo's trainer Andre Pederneiras that were given at a Brazilian event yesterday.

The subject of Aldo's injury came up and the champ's trainer made it sound like his man was perhaps more seriously injured than the UFC told us last week.

"There’s medical report here and an evaluation there. I’m not a doctor to say which one is correct," Pederneiras said in Rio de Janeiro.

"I know he’s injured and this rib injury is painful. He’s using anti-inflammatory and we will wait to see if he gets better. The fight is on, and we’ll check him again next week."

"We will only have this answer next week," he continued. "He’s under treatment. He did an injection and is under a PRP (platelet-rich plasma) treatment, and is waiting to get better. They take his blood, use only the good plasma, and inject it on the injury. The fight is 15 days away. Doctors say he will get better day after day. We can’t say how he will feel 15 days from now."

One major reason why the fight may now not happen is weight. 

Pederneiras confirmed that the UFC will take him off the bill if he fails to make weight and as it stands, Aldo cannot exercise at all.

"If he can’t do any exercise to cut weight, he won’t fight at all," he said. "That doesn’t concern me at all.

"He’s forbidden to do anything right now. If you move, the injury won’t heal, so he needs to stay to some rest. He’s used to pain but is feeling a lot of pain right now. It’s hard to fight at 100 percent. But if he can take a punch and don’t feel the pain he’s feeling right now… He broke his foot in the first round against ‘Korean Zombie’ and kept fighting. He’s used to pain. We’ll only let him fight if he’s well."

Of course, the UFC have already announced Chad Mendes as a back-up plan if Aldo is pulled from the bill at the MGM in Las Vegas but the prospect of the Brazilian being in the octagon appears to be just that little bit slimmer today.