Liverpool sack manager Brendan Rodgers
Liverpool have sacked manager Brendan Rodgers following a poor start to the season.
A reliable source close to the club has informed the Sunday World that Carlo Ancelotti is a strong contender to be unveiled as the club's new manager, but ex-Borussia Dortmund boss Jurgen Klopp is also under consideration.
As we exclusively revealed in this Sunday morning's newspaper, Rodgers had been told by the club that his team needed to beat Everton for him to keep his job.
However, the Northern Irishman was duly sacked despite maintaining his unbeaten record in Merseyside derbies with a 1-1 draw at Goodison Park.
Rodgers' dismissal comes after just eight league games with the club sitting in tenth position in the table.
Crucially, Rodgers never managed to win a trophy during his time as Liverpool manager and the board clearly believe that he is not the right man to take the club to the next level.
Sunday World columnist John Aldridge has said that he thought the club would give Rodgers more time to turn things around.
In a joint Fenway Sports Group statement, Principal Owner John W Henry, Chairman Tom Werner and President Mike Gordon said:
“We would like to place on record our sincere thanks to Brendan Rodgers for the significant contribution he has made to the club and express our gratitude for his hard work and commitment.
“All of us have experienced some wonderful moments with Brendan as manager and we are confident he will enjoy a long career in the game.
“Although this has been a difficult decision, we believe it provides us with the best opportunity for success on the pitch. Ambition and winning are at the heart of what we want to bring to Liverpool and we believe this change gives us the best opportunity to deliver it.
“The search for a new manager is underway and we hope to make an appointment in a decisive and timely manner.”