Hurling round-up: Galway relegated after defeat to Cork

Cork's Conor O Sullivan escapes from Conor Whelan of Galway
Cork's Conor O Sullivan escapes from Conor Whelan of Galway

Cork pulled off the great escape in Division One - losing every game in the division and then winning the relegation play-off to survive.

Goals from Seamus Harnedy and Patrick Horgan in the last ten minutes sealed Galway's fate in an entertaining clash at Pearse Stadium.

Galway's over-reliance on Joe Canning proved to be their undoing once again.

The marquee forward scored 13 points as the Tribesmen built a three-point lead heading into the closing stages but it still wasn't enough as Cork's double strike proved decisive.

Clare beat Tipperary by a point (2-13 to 0-18) in the pick of Sunday's quarter-final ties.

Davy Fitzgerald's side's fitness proved decisive at the end of a titanic struggle but Tipperary will also rue a series of missed frees from Séamus Callinan.

Clare led by two points at the break following a fine solo goal from John Conlon.

Tipp picked up the pace in the second half and took the lead with a point from John O'Dwyer after 53 minutes.

Further points from John McGrath and Jason Forde put the Premier County three points in front before Clare salvaged their league campaign late on.

Aaron Shanagher's goal five minutes from time made the difference for the Banner men who advance to the semi-final where they will face Kilkenny.

If Clare were made to work exceptionally hard to reach the semi-finals, the same cannot be said for Kilkenny.

The Cats ran out 6-20 to 0-14 winners over Offaly in a complete mismatch at Nowlan Park.

Sadly, the scoreline proved embarrassing for Offaly in the end as Colin Fennelly (2), Kevin Kelly, John Power, Lester Ryan and Liam Blanchfield all found the net for the All-Ireland champions.

The day's other quarter-final was a much tighter affair as Waterford were pushed all the way by an improving Wexford side.

Backed by their vocal home supporters, Wexford raced out of the blocks and went five points in front after just ten minutes.

Lee Chin was on fire for Wexford but Waterford gradually crept back into the game and were only a point behind at the break.

Waterford were clearly on a mission at the start of the second half as points from Austin Gleeson and Maurice Shanahan put them in front for the first time.

The Déise tagged on further points before a Conor McDonald goal drew the hosts level once more with three minutes remaining.

Waterford kept their composure, however, and a late Shanahan point booked their semi-final date with Limerick.


Allianz HL Division 1 quarter-finals:
Wexford 1-13 Waterford 0-17
Kilkenny 6-20 Offaly 0-14
Clare 2-13 Tipperary 0-18

Allianz HL Division 1A relegation play-off:
Galway 0-24 Cork 2-22