SportGAA

Pat Spillane in the frame for Kerry job

GAABy Sean McGoldrick
Pat Spillane wants to become the next Kerry U-21 boss
Pat Spillane wants to become the next Kerry U-21 boss

Eight time All-Ireland medallist and Sunday World columnist Pat Spillane wants to manage the Kerry U-21 team.

The Templenoe maestro says he wants to give something back to Kerry football. The retired school principal has no interest in managing at senior inter county level but has made himself available for the vacant Kerry U-21 post.

Former Kerry midfield legend Darragh O Sé stepped down from the position earlier this week after the team lost to Cork in the Munster semi-final.

During his three year tenure the team failed to make an impact.

Overall the Kingdom has a very poor record in the competition - they haven't won a Munster title since 2008 when they went on to win the All-Ireland.

Spillane, who managed Kenmare to their first Kerry U-21 title in 29 seasons in 2014 said: 'I want to to give something back. I was very interested last year and I'm still interested.'

Meanwhile, Clare hurlers have suffered another blow ahead of the conclusion of the Allianz League.

Experienced defender Brendan Bugler, who was sent off in last weekend's clash against Dublin, will miss the remainder of the competition.

The GAA's Central Hearing Committee upheld the decision of the referee to red card him for 'attempting to kick with minimal force,'

The CHC  imposed a two match ban as Bulger served another suspension during the previous 12 months.

As a result he misses Sunday's clash against Kilkenny and either the relegation final on Sunday week or the League quarter-final depending on how this weekend's results pan out.

In the event of Clare beating Kilkenny and Dublin losing to Galway, Davy Fitzgerald's side will qualify for the last eight.

Any other combination of results will mean Clare and Kilkenny will face each other int he relegation final.

Division 1A leaders Cork have suffered a blow with the decision of Cian McCarthy to pull out of the squad.

Twenty nine year old McCarthy - son of dual All-Ireland medallist Teddy McCarthy - was a first choice player at the start of last year's championship.

He started Cork's first championship tie against Waterford but was substituted and the subsequent emergence of Bill Cooper as a formidable centre forward left McCarthy out in the cold.

Arguably the decision of Jimmy Barry Murphy not to give the fringe players a runout in Sunday's dead rubber against Tipperary may have prompted McCarthy's decision to pull out.

The manager thanked him for his services and said the door was open for him to return if he changed his mind.