Galway and Dublin must meet again

Galway's Cyril Donnellan in action against Johnny McCaffrey, left, and Conal Keaney, Dublin
Galway's Cyril Donnellan in action against Johnny McCaffrey, left, and Conal Keaney, Dublin


LAST summer Galway staged a dramatic late revival to finish level with Kilkenny in their Leinster championship tie. 

There was altogether less drama attached to this recovery. Again Anthony Cunningham's side came from behind to force a draw - the replay is scheduled for next Saturday at 4.45pm in Tullamore.

Dublin's David Treacy, who had been immaculate with frees all afternoon - he was the game's top scorer with a 0-11 tally - missed a relatively straightforward one into Hill 16 a minute from the end of normal time.

Straight from the puck out Galway attacked and midfielder Aidan Harte popped over the equaling point. There was late drama when Joe Canning tried to hit the winning point from a free on his own 45 metre line.

But against the wind his effort fell short and the two sides lived to fight another day. Canning was well below his best - hitting wides and missing a straightforward free early in the second half.

On the evidence of the play both sides lacked confidence. Dublin were on top for most of the second half - they won all but three of Galway's puck-outs - but a combination of wrong option-taking and selfish shot-taking by their forwards was to prove costly.

At the business end of the contest it looked like Liam Rushe would prove the Dublin matchwinner. Surprisingly, he started at wing forward but he made a telling impact when switched to centre forward.

Ten minutes from the end he was fouled after winning the puck-out and Treacy converted the resultant free to give Dublin the lead; a Canning free brought the sides level for the third time in the half.

Five minutes from the end a Rushe point gave Dublin back the lead and it looked certain that Dublin would double their advantage when he won his late free but Treacy missed which essentially enabled Galway to grab a second chance.

Galway began in whirlwind fashion with Cyril Donnellan leading the line at centre forward while Dublin had to rely exclusively on Treacy frees for their early scores.

At the end of the first quarter Galway led 1-6 to 0-3 following a solo goal from midfielder Joseph Cooney.

The goal finally prompted Dublin into action, with Mark Schutte proving too strong for Johnny Coen and Dublin hit four unanswered points.

At the end of normal time in the half Dublin were actually ahead but late points from Cathal Mannion - who ended up with 0-3 on his championship debut and Jason Flynn gave Galway a 1-9 to 0-11 advantage at the break.

Dublin lost full back Peter Kelly before half time but Galway decision's to move Coen away from Schutte at the start of the second half brought a positive result.

But if Dublin are to progress in the championship their forwards will have to remember that they are part of a team while Galway, as always, need a bigger return from Joe Canning, who only managed one point from play.

Dublin: A Nolan; C O'Callaghan, P Kelly, S Durkin, C Crummy, C Keaney; S Lambert; J McCaffrey (0-1), R O'Dwyer; D Sutcliffe (0-3), C Cronin, L Rushe (0-2); D O'Callaghan, D Treacy (0-11, 8f, 2 65), M Schutte (0-3) Subs: M Carton for P Kelly 36m; D O'Connell for Cronin 49m; P Ryan for O'Dwyer 65m; S Barrett for C O'Callaghan 72m.

Galway: C Callanan; P Mannion, J Coen, J Hanbury, P Mannion; D Collins; I Tannion, G McInerney; J Cooney (1-0), A Harte (0-2); A Smith (0-1), C Donnellan (0-3), J Glynn; C Mannion (0-3), J Canning (0-6, 4 f, 1 65), J Flynn (0-2) Subs: G Lally for McInerney 53m; P Brehony for Cooney 59m; D Burke for Smith 65m; P Killeen for Tannian 69m; N Healy for Canning  72m

Referee: James McGrath (Westmeath)