GAA round-up: Ballyboden beat Vincents in Dublin decider

Bob Dwan of Ballyboden St Endas in action against St Vincents' Diarmuid Connolly
Bob Dwan of Ballyboden St Endas in action against St Vincents' Diarmuid Connolly

There was a major upset in the Dublin club football final when St Vincent’s dream of securing a third title in a row was shattered by Ballyboden St Enda’s from the southside who claimed the title for the first time since 2009.

St Vincent’s, who had won an All-Ireland club title and two Leinster crowns during their reign, started as 4/1 on favourites. But Ballyboden shocked the Marino side in the first half. An early goal from Andrew Kerin set the tone and it took St Vincent’s 22 minutes to register their first score.

As the fog descended on Parnell Park Ballyboden already had one hand on the trophy as they led 1-7 to 0-3 at the break.

They looked to have put the game beyond Vincent’s reach early in the third quarter when - after a foul on dual player Conal Keaney - Kerin notched his second goal, this time from the penalty spot. They added another point in the 37th minute to lead 2-8 to 0-4.

St Vincent’s finally got their act together in the final quarter and began a spirited comeback. With Ballyboden content to defend their sizeable lead Vincent’s poured forward and hit six points without reply to narrow the gap to four points.

But Ballyboden held their nerve. Even though they failed to score in the last 24 minutes crucially they didn’t concede a goal and held out for a 2-8 to 0-10 victory to capture the blue riband prize in Dublin football. They previously won the title in 1995 and 2009.

Dublin midfielder Michael Darragh Macauley is a key figure for the winners who had Donegal’s All-Ireland medallist Paul Durcan in goal and Dublin hurlers Stephen Hiney and Conal Keaney in the side while David ‘Dotsie’ O’Callaghan came on as a substitute.

Last year’s beaten All-Ireland club finalists Slaughtneil from Derry have surrendered their Ulster title to Monaghan champions Scotstown in Clones.

Monaghan inter county player Darren Hughes hit the all-important goal as the home side prevailed by three points against the title holders whose hurling team were beaten in the Ulster club final after extra time last Sunday.

Meanwhile, perennial Ulster favourites Crossmaglen Rangers fell 0-4 to no score behind in the first quarter against Antrim champions Cargin. However, the Armagh side eventually ran out comfortable winners by 2-15 to 0-13.

The match of the day in Ulster saw Tyrone’s champions Trillick squeeze past Donegal title holders Noamh Conaill from Glenties.

Trillick’s second goal scored just before the break proved decisive. The Donegal champions staged a spirited second-half comeback but Trillick survived to book a place in the semi-final.

In the other quarter-final tie Down champions Kilcoo hammered their Cavan counterparts Kingscourt, running out 19-point winners.

Favourites Oulart the Ballagh from Wexford were given a big scare in Portlaoise by Clough Ballacolla in the Leinster club hurling quarter-final. But goals in the second half from Rory Jacob (penalty) and David Redmond eventually saw them over the line.

In the other quarter-final Westmeath’s Clonkill hit four goals to see off the challenge of Carlow champions St Mullins.

In the Munster club football championship Clonmel Commercials made it into the semi-final after they defeated Newcastlewest from Limerick.


Ulster Club SFC
Crossmaglen Rangers (Armagh) 2-15; Cargin (Antrim) 0-13
Kilcoo (Down) 3-15; Kingscourt (Cavan) 0-5
Trillick (Tyrone) 2-9; Naomh Conaill 1-11
Scotstown (Monaghan) 1-15; Slaughtneil (Derry)

Munster Club SFC
Clonmel Commercials (Tipperary) 0-12; Newcastlewest (Limerick) 1-7

Leinster Club SHC
Oulart the Ballagh (Wexford) 3-8; Clough Ballacolla (Laois) 0-13
Clonkill (Westmeath) 4-9; St Mullin’s (Carlow) 0-9.

Dublin SFC final:

Ballyboden St Enda's 2-8 St Vincent's 0-10