GAA round-up: Mayo stroll to victory over London

Mayo's Jason Doherty celebrates after scoring his side's first goal
Mayo's Jason Doherty celebrates after scoring his side's first goal

Defending title holders, Mayo comfortably began their quest for a record sixth successive Connacht title with a comfortable win over London in Ruislip.

In 2011 Mayo almost came a cropper at the venue before defeating the gallant home side in extra time and of course, they haven't lost a match in the Connacht series since.

They comfortably saw off the challenge of London on a 2-16 to 0-9 scoreline to qualify for a provincial semi-final clash against Galway in Castlebar on June 18.

Mayo lost newly appointed captain Cillian O'Connor to a black card after just ten minutes but although London scored first, the visitors soon settled into their rhythm.

After three points on the spin from Evan Regan, Conor Loftus hit a goal followed quickly by a point.

While London scored next Mayo extended their advantage with a second goal from Jason Doherty to put them firmly in control. By half time the Connacht title holders were comfortably ahead (2-8; 0-5) before a sell-out crowd of 3,000 at Ruislip.

London improved in the second half and there was no sign of the expected rout as the home side stayed in touch – albeit at a distance and they never looked like causing a big shock.

Next door neighbours Clare and Limerick seemed to draw the worst out of each other in their Munster football quarter final clash at the Gaelic Grounds. There were nine wides – six from Limerick – and no scores in the opening ten minutes.

Limerick, who were relegated from Division 3, defied the odds by eventually kicking on and taking a 3-1 lead before the Division 3 champions, Clare finally got their act together in the second quarter.

The eventually drew level before dual player, Podge Collins – who was introduced as a substitute – kicked a point before half time to give them a 0-5 to 0-4 advantage at the break.

Before an attendance of 3,333 the scoring rate improved marginally in the third quarter with Clare going 8-6 ahead before losing Gordon Kelly to a black card.

Clare extended their lead to four points but Limerick stayed in touch and a late brace of scores from Limerick's best forward Ian Ryan left just two points between the sides as the game entered injury time.

But Clare hit the game's final score to win by a margin of three (0-16; 0-13) and secure a semi-final date against defending provincial title holders, Kerry in Fitzgerald Stadium on June 12.