Daley Blind admits he was thinking of Atletico Madrid before Man Utd
Speaking to a Dutch newspaper, Blind spoke exclusively about how he nearly signed for Diego Simeone.
Manchester United star Daley Blind has admitted that in 2013, he rejected a move to Atletico Madrid.
At the time, Blind's contract was on the verge of running out, and many clubs were interested before he eventually signed an extension keeping him at Ajax.
According to Blind, a major reason why he rejected Diego Simeone's proposal was because there was because Ajax would not have made any money from the deal.
He told Dutch newspaper Helden: "I could have signed for Atletico (on a free transfer in 2013) if I wanted to. But I would not have cost Atletico anything apart from my wages.
"They did not really have to make an investment to sign me. For me, that is always a bit of a disadvantage."
Blind has featured in all three of United's pre-season fixtures so far, playing in a central defensive position, and the 25-year-old insists he's happy to play at the back ahead of the club's Premier League opener against Tottenham on August 8.
He added: "I already said many times I play where the manager needs me. Now he gives me the chance in this position and I try to do my best.
"I think it worked out good against Barcelona. I have played there before, so I know what is asked of me in that position."