Young woman is seventh road fatality in just three days

Jane Dardis
Jane Dardis

A young woman killed in a car crash in north county Dublin overnight has been described as a "lovely, pleasant girl" who was always "wearing a smile".

Jane Dardis (20) was killed in the collision, while two other people were seriously injured in the car crash.

This brings to seven the number of people killed on Irish roads in little over 48 hours.

The latest accident happened when the car in which the woman was travelling crashed head-on into a cut-stone wall on the Skerries to Loughshinny (R128) Road at around half past midnight.

Jane lived on Ballyhavil Lane, within a few hundred yards from the scene of the crash.

It is believed she was being dropped home after work at the Blue Bar in Skerries when the crash happened.

The driver of the car, a man in his 20s, and a female passenger in her late teens, were rushed to Beaumont Hospital in Dublin where they were described as being in a serious condition.

The car, a blue Audi A3, was thrown onto its passenger side in the force of the crash.

Pic: Mark Condren

This morning the scene remained sealed off pending a forensic examination by trained Garda crash investigators who arrived early in the morning and surveyed the scene.

The town of Skerries was numbed by the tragedy today, and at Gerry’s Fresh Foods, the shop where Jane used to work, manager Adrian Kavanagh described her as a person who everyone knew and loved.

 “She was a lovely pleasant girl, always bubbly and wearing a smile. It's an awful tragedy,” he said.

“Jane was always in good form and very obliging, and would go to the ends of the earth to help a customer.

 “And we could always depend on her, like if somebody rang in sick and we needed her in she would always help.

“Everybody in the town knew her from coming into the shop. She was a great sportswoman as well I’m told,” he added.

Jane was also heavily involved in the local Skerries Harps GAA club, where she played camogie and football at senior level and coached younger members.

Dublin Fire Brigade confirmed units from Skerries and Finglas attended the scene in which there was one person confirmed fatality and two serious injured.

Local man Enda Joyce said there has been a few accidents in the same spot over the last few years.

“I think the council will need to do something to try and make it safer,” he said.

Gardaí from Balbriggan are appealing for witnesses to the accident.

Any person who was in the area between midnight and 12.30am, or anyone with any information is asked to contact Balbriggan Garda station on (01) 8020510 or the Garda Confidential line on 1800 666111.

Six other people have died on the roads in Ireland since Saturday night.

A male motorcyclist (46) has died after a collision involving a motorbike, a car and a van.

Gardaí at Dun Laoghaire are investigating all the circumstances of a fatal road traffic incident at York Rd, Dun Laoghaire at approximately 11.45am.

In a statement officers confirmed that the incident involved the motor cyclist, a car and a van.

The man was taken to St Vincent's Hospital where he was pronounced dead. A post mortem is expected to take place.

The road has been sealed off for forensic collision investigations. Diversions are in place.

This is the sixth fatality in less than 48 hours on Irish roads. and this man is the third motorcyclist to lose his life on Irish roads in the last 48 hours.

Earlier today a 50-year-old man died after the car he was driving collided with a truck in Paulstown, Co Kilkenny.

On Sunday a motorcyclist died after a collision at Ballinaclough, Pallasgreen, Co. Limerick at 3.30pm.

The man, who was in his 30s, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Shortly before 7pm on Saturday a motorcyclist, in his early 20s, was killed after two bikers collided on Hartstown Road in Blanchardstown.

On Saturday night Lee Henry (13) from Darndale was killed while crossing a road in Clonshaugh, North Dublin.

The teen had been crossing the R139 near the Belcamp House entrance with friends when he was struck at 9.35pm by a black Volkswagen Golf which failed to remain at the scene.