News

Woman injured as fridge 'explodes' in North West Regional College

NewsBy Jamie McDowell
Three fire engines attended the scene
Three fire engines attended the scene

A woman has been injured after a fridge 'exploded' in a canteen at the North West Regional College in Derry.

The college, on the Strand Road in the city, was evacuated after the incident at around 8.30am.

The woman was treated in hospital for minor injuries.

In a statement, a spokesperson for the college said the explosion was due to "a failure in one of the aisle chilling units in the Tower canteen.

"One member of staff was taken to A&E for minor injuries sustained during the incident and has subsequently been released.

"The Tower building was re-opened at 10.20am. Other buildings in the College's Strand Road campus were not affected."