News

Woman (21) 'burns up' from the inside and dies after online diet pills

NewsBy Shuki Byrne
Sad: West Mercia Police said Eloise Parry died at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital on April 12
Sad: West Mercia Police said Eloise Parry died at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital on April 12

A 21-year-old woman has died after taking "diet pills" thought to contain a highly toxic chemical.

West Mercia Police said Eloise Parry died at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital on April 12 after taking tablets bought on the internet. It is believed she "burned up from the inside" and died after taking a fatal number of diet pills bought online.

Her mother, Fiona Parry, said her daughter's metabolism “exploded like TNT” after taking the pills.

Tests are being conducted on the pills but they are believed to include a quantity of dinitrophenol, also known as DNP.

Officers are conducting a full investigation into the death and have warned the public of the dangers of buying substances online.

Chief Inspector Jennifer Mattinson said: "We are undoubtedly concerned over the origin and sale of these pills and are working with partner agencies to establish where they were bought from and how they were advertised.

"The coroner's report will establish the exact cause of Eloise's death but we urge the public to be incredibly careful when purchasing medicine or supplements over the internet.

"Substances from unregistered websites could put your health at risk as they could be extremely harmful, out-of-date or fake."

Police are attempting to establish the circumstances of the pills' sale and anyone with information that could assist the inquiry is urged to call 101.

In a statement, Eloise's mother, Fiona Parry, said: "It is such a great sadness that her life ended so soon, and, in many ways, ended before it had really had a chance to begin.

"There were so many things that she dreamed of doing - travelling, having a career and having a family - things that she never got a chance to experience.

"She will be greatly missed by everyone who knew her and it will be all the good memories of her that we will cherish as we go through the difficult weeks and months ahead."

The Food Standards Agency has previously advised members of the public not to take any tablets or powders containing DNP, an industrial chemical which is not fit for human consumption.