Video: Horror of Cork party drug aftermath revealed
Footage taken at the scene of a the horror N-bomb party in Cork shows one reveller on the ground being tended to by emergency services.
In our exclusive clip you can see ambulance staff and gardai dealing with a man on the street who appears to be semi-clothed and screaming at the top of his lungs outside the house where the party took place.
Drug tests revealed that the six young people hospitalised in Cork after taking hallucinogenic substances consumed a lethal drug known as N-Bomb, not the designer drug 2CB.
Last night a popular 18-year-old became the first known victim in this country of the killer hallucinogenic drug.
Cork teen Alex Ryan, from Millstreet, snorted the powdered substance 251-NBOMe which allowed the drug to enter his bloodstream and reach his brain more quickly and lethally than fellow party-goers who had eaten it.
Alex – who completed his Leaving Certificate at Millstreet Community College last June - collapsed with five others after taking the party drug at a party at St Patrick’s Terrace in Greenmount, Cork City in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
His unconscious body was discovered by local man Gerard Banks outside the house who alerted gardai and paramedics.
Five other party-goers who emerged from the property later were discovered hallucinating and covered in blood. They have since recovered.
Yesterday afternoon, medics switched off Alex’s life support machine shortly after his organs were removed and donated to four transplant patients – three of whom live in Ireland and one who resides in the UK.
The incident saw one man arrested, while three more individuals were released without charge.
N-BOMe, commonly referred to as ‘N-bomb’ or ‘Smiles’, is a powerful synthetic hallucinogen.
Effects of only a tiny amount of the drug can last for up to 12 hours.
N-bomb creates a hallucinogenic effect similar to LSD at extremely small dosages, though users report the negative effects and after-effects of the drug are worse than that of LSD.
N-bomb is sold in liquid or powdered form or on soaked blotter paper. It has a strong bitter metallic taste, and some dealers add mint or fruit flavouring to the liquid and blotter varieties.
As N-bomb creates no effect if swallowed, users place it under their tongue, where it gets absorbed. Some users inject it, smoke the powdered form, breathe it through the nose, vaporize and inhale it, or insert it rectally. Any of these uses are dangerous as only a few grains produce an effect, and it is extremely easy to overdose—with sometimes fatal consequences.
The lethal drug is so toxic that it requires a filter mask, gloves and glasses while handling it.
The drugs were tested by Forensic Science Ireland in Garda Headquarters in the Phoenix Park and it emerged that they are not the ecstasy-derived 2CB but in fact a very potent LSD derived drug which can be lethal in small doses.
Dr Sheila Willis, the Director General of FSI, today told Independent.ie that tests revealed the drug samples were from a family of synthetic psychoactive substances “commonly called Ioda N-Bombs recognised as causing deaths in other countries”.
The HSE has warned members of the public that the ‘N-bomb’ drug can have very serious side effects – especially when snorted as it becomes extremely potent.
Experts have warned that just one line of the drug snorted could prove lethal.
It has been linked to several deaths internationally.
The EU issued a warning on the increasing use of the drug in 2014.
Side effects of the consumption of the drug routinely include paranoia, hallucinations, stomach problems and kidney problems.
The HSE warned that there is no quality control on drugs and that they are frequently contaminated with impurities.
“Young people are advised that there is no quality control on these drugs. There are problems with purity and contaminants, and there is no way of checking that what is purchased or consumed is the intended substance.
“Given the serious side-effects experienced by the young people in Cork, the HSE Addiction services are issuing a warning about possible contaminated ‘party pills’ and advise people not to consume any unknown substances that they are offered at this time”, it said.
FOR MORE ON THIS SHOCKING STORY DO NOT MISS THIS WEEKEND'S SUNDAY WORLD