News

TV3 postpone Amy Fitzpatrick doc after mum's solicitor's letter

NewsBy Eugene Masterson
Audrey Fitzpatrick
Audrey Fitzpatrick

TV3 bosses have pulled a documentary about missing teenager Amy Fitzpatrick from this week’s schedule after her mother’s solicitors threatened to take legal action against the station.

Audrey Fitzpatrick claimed the programme – which is a part of TV3’s new Missing series – could potentially damage her reputation. 

Earlier this year, Audrey came under fire after she continued to stand by her husband Dave Mahon following his conviction for killing her son Dean.

And the Sunday World can also reveal that Dave has been moved out of protection and into a different prison.

“Mahon has been moved from Mountjoy and into Wheatfield prison,” said an insider. “He has also been taken off protection, which he insisted on when he went in.”

“Mahon has tried to rule the roost already in Wheatfield. He has been trying to get more phone calls than he’s entitled to and has already had one confrontation with a prison officer there.”

Mahon and Audrey Fitzpatrick suggested shortly after Amy’s disappearance near their home in the Costa del Sol on New Year’s Day in 2008 that Irish criminal Eric ‘Lucky’ Wilson may have been responsible for abducting and killing her.

When Mahon was caged for killing Audrey’s only other child Dean (23), who he stabbed to death in 2013, he sought protection as he feared friends of Wilson may try to “get him”.

Last June, the Sunday World revealed a parent who had looked after Amy in Spain, Pearl Cantlie, had written to the Irish embassy in Madrid in 2005 warning them that the teenager was in fear of Mahon.

TV3 had planned to start a new Missing series this Wednesday, fronted by award-winning journalist Donal MacIntyre. The first episode was to feature Amy.

The 15-year-old Dubliner was last seen leaving friend Ashley and her mum Debbie Rose’s apartment in the early hours of New Year’s Day. 

A TV3 spokesperson today said that it was a scheduling decision and they are still not sure when the show will be rescheduled for broadcast.

It will be replaced by a documentary about Trevor Deely, a 22-year-old bank worker from Kildare who went missing near the Grand  Canal in Dublin in 2000.

However, insiders on the Amy documentary claim lawyers for Audrey sent in a solicitor’s letter, which also threatened an injunction. 

“Audrey sent in a letter from her lawyers saying she will sue, that she is going to get an injunction if we go to air,” a source said. “She claims it could defame her and be defamatory to Dave Mahon. She said that she could tell by the people that were taking part in it that it would be negative. She also said we would be putting her husband’s life in danger if the documentary went out.”

Among those interviewed on the programme are Amy’s father Christopher and her aunt Christine, who has led a courageous campaign to find out the truth about what happened to her niece.

A source revealed that Audrey and Dave refused to take part in the show.