News

Tragedy as two-year-old dies after choking on toast

Tragedy as two-year-old dies after choking on toast

A family has been left devastated after their two-year-old child choked to death on a piece of toast.

The toddler died in the north-west of the country following the heart-breaking incident which occurred on Saturday morning.

The boy was being looked after by a relative when he choked.

He was rushed to the local health centre and then to hospital.

Despite attempts to resuscitate him he passed away a short time later.

The death was described as a “complete accident” by gardai as his distraught parents were last night being comforted by friends and family.

"It’s just devastating for them. They are such lovely people and they lived for the lad. It just all happened so quickly and I understand it was a piece of toast he choked on,” a local told the Irish Sun, “It just sounds like one of those freak accidents that shouldn’t happen.”

The boy will be laid to rest on Wednesday