Sex predator back on the streets after prison release

Philip Murphy
Philip Murphy

Philip Murphy was released from Arbour Hill this morning.

Murphy has walked free from Dublin’s Arbour Hill Prison this morning after spending just seven years behind bars for the abduction of a Polish woman on the Nangor Road, Clondalkin in west Dublin, on June 7, 2008.

After his release today Murphy was driven to the Housing section of South Dublin County Council where he left a short time later without comment.

Although the dad-of-two was jailed for kidnapping the Polish woman, he’s also the chief suspect in a similar incident.

He was quizzed in 2008 over the attempted abduction of another Eastern European woman — but there wasn’t enough evidence to bring him before the courts.

Locals this week told the Sunday World there will be a watch kept to ensure they know of his presence if he returns to the Lindisfarne area of Clondalkin.

“This is a person nobody in this area wants to see come back here,” a local – leading a campaign to highlight the danger Murphy poses – told the Sunday World.

“He is a vicious and violent criminal who quite obviously poses a major risk to women in this area.

“We have done everything in our power to warn people that he is getting out.

“Bar posting his picture on every lamp-post in Clondalkin, there’s not much more we can do.”

Earlier this week a man claiming to be a family member of Murphy’s rang FM 104’s Chris Barry radio show and said members of his own family believe the sentence handed down to the predator was too lenient.

“Eight years is too short for the things he’s done in his life,” he said.

“Spike Island should be reopened for the likes of him.

“A lot of the cousins and his own family don’t want him to come anywhere next nor near the area.

“He’d given the rest of us a bad name.

“His immediate family is lovely.”

Murphy’s mother and brother refused to discuss his imminent release when the Sunday World called to their home earlier this week. 

Another family member, who did not wish to be named, has been reported as saying Murphy will not be allowed back in the family home.

Murphy previously served a three-year sentence imposed in October 2005 by Judge Desmond Hogan at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court for stabbing a taxi driver in the neck with a broken beer bottle, leaving him with life-threatening injuries, and for hijacking his car in 2001.

During his most recent trial, Judge Frank O’Donnell told how the brute had been “scouring the countryside looking for a victim”.

The court heard that Murphy’s victim had been waiting at a bus stop at around 6.30am when Murphy offered her lift.

Although she initially refused to enter the vehicle, Murphy returned and offered her another lift and this time she got in.

But when the woman asked him to stop the car after he drove past her workplace he produced a large knife and said he would “cut” her if she screamed.

In her victim impact statement to the court, the woman spoke of her fear that she would be “raped or killed”, and added: “The fear will never leave me.”

It’s understood Gardaí will be monitoring Murphy’s whereabouts following his release from prison.