RTE insists background checks done following 'First Dates' revelation
RTÉ carried out full background checks on all applicants on 'First Dates Ireland' prior to their appearing on the show.
South African model Daphney Sanasie (26), who appeared on last Thursday's RTÉ Two programme, has been charged with harassing celebrity chef Dylan McGrath.
An RTÉ source said every effort is made to check applicants' history.
"Background checks were done on all the applicants, as far as the law allows," the source said.
"They were also required to fill out a personal disclosure form."
While not going as far as a formal garda vetting process, this form would require applicants to state whether they have any prior criminal convictions.
The source also pointed out that while Ms Sanasie was arrested and charged two weeks ago, the reality show was filmed last January.
The woman, who used the name Federica on the RTÉ Two show, appeared in court on April 15.
She was charged with harassing the chef Dylan McGrath on various dates between September 9 and November 21 last year.
She was remanded on bail until May 27.
The South African hit the headlines for her car-crash date with Donegal man Lee at the Gibson Hotel.
But things turned sour after she asked him to guess her age - and he said she was "maybe 29 or 30", much to her disgust.
She also made him use hand sanitiser, and forced him to drink from her wine glass as her attempts to romance him fell short.
The first episode of the show, which aired last Thursday night, was a big hit, pulling in 224,500 viewers.
At the end of the programme, viewers were told that Ms Sanasie would return to the show for a second date.
However, RTÉ said that it couldn't comment on whether she would be appearing again, with the court case pending.