Nurse lay dead in Dublin hospital for up to two days

Our Lady's Children's Hospital in Crumlin
Our Lady's Children's Hospital in Crumlin

A Garda investigation is under way into the tragic death of a nurse whose body lay undiscovered in a hospital for nearly two days.

It is understood that the nurse was last seen on duty on Sunday in Our Lady's Children's Hospital in Crumlin.

She was found on Tuesday morning in one of the rooms in the hospital which are set aside for parents' accommodation.

When her body was discovered, efforts were made to resuscitate her, but it was too late.

Gardaí have launched an investigation into the death of the nurse, who was in her early 30s, but are satisfied that there was no foul play.

A senior officer told the Irish Independent that they were treating the death as a tragedy.

The investigation will include an examination of how a member of staff was in possession of a key for a parents' room.

Accommodation for parents is provided in a special section of the hospital. Some parents, whose child is a patient at the hospital, can be allocated a room to stay - but they often return to their home for a few days.

In such situations, the room is unlikely to be visited by staff.

The nurse's body was found in one of these room that are used occasionally by parents for resting.

The nurse is understood to have completed her shift in the hospital on Sunday and then went into the room, which was unoccupied.

Initial inquiries suggest that she died shortly afterwards. But her body was not discovered by staff until Tuesday.

Staff at the hospital are understood to be devastated by the death of their colleague.

A spokeswoman for the hospital confirmed the death of a staff member. She said: "Our thoughts, prayers and deepest condolences go out to the staff member's family and friends and colleagues here at Our Ladys's Hospital.

"The hospital will be making no further comment as it is the subject of a garda investigation."

The general secretary of the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation, Liam Doran, said the union had no comment.

He said he was aware of the incident and that it was a terrible tragedy.