Notorious rapist spotted in Cork city centre

Convicted rapist Trevor Byrne
Convicted rapist Trevor Byrne

Notorious rapist Trevor Byrne was spotted today by a member of the public in Cork city centre.

An eyewitness told that Byrne was spotted at Paul Street shopping centre at 1pm today.

He was wearing a red jacket, glasses and was with another male.

Bryne was later seen on MacCurtain St and on Bridge St, walking with a male and two females at around 6:30 - 6:45pm. 

The serial offender, who is originally from Cabra in Dublin, has spent most of the last 20 years in prison for vicious attacks against women and burglary.

He was arrested on the 3rd of April for breaching his release conditions and appeared in court last Saturday.

Trevor Byrne last year

The court heard he replied: “I’m f***ing freezing. I don’t give a f***,” when he was charged.

Byrne was granted bail of €200 and told to stay out of the Rathmines area of Dublin but, may still, be sent back to prison for breaching his release conditions. 

He was released from prison last year after serving part of an eight year sentence for trying to rob a woman in Dublin in September 2009, the day after he walked free from jail after serving a sentence for attacking another woman.

In the 2009 incident he attacked a woman as she made her way home on Leo Street in Dublin. He punched her in the face and grabbed her phone before pushing her into her house and demanding money. Byrne ran off when his victim alerted her housemate.

Judge Patricia Ryan at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court sentenced him to eight years for that attack but suspended the final two years of the sentence on condition that Byrne enter a bond and abide by strict terms.

However, he was sent back to prison last April  for breaching two conditions – that he had to abide by an 8am to 8pm curfew and avoid alcohol.

He is also required to stay at accommodation approved by the probation service.

Byrne was released from prison again last October and moved into a property in Dublin 8 but had to leave after residents realised who he was. He was spotted in Belfast earlier this year but has since returned to the capital.