NewsNorthern Ireland

UVF exile Darren Moore spills the beans on his attackers

Darren Moore
Darren Moore

UVF chiefs have been questioned by cops on the word of judas Darren Moore.

The Sunday World can reveal cry baby Moore has made a statement to the PSNI fingering three leading figures over an alleged punishment attack that left him nursing two broken arms and legs.

Mount Vernon commander Davy ‘Whitecap’ Miller, South East Antrim Brigadier Den Elliott and former lifer Billy McCartney from north Belfast were all scooped on the word of their former pal.

No one has been charged but the move has caused anxiety in loyalist circles.

There has been growing speculation in recent months that former Mount Vernon goon Moore has agreed to become a supergrass, ready to give evidence against his terrorist comrades in return for a new identity and light sentence.


This latest development is being seen as the first step along that road.

Moore was furious at his treatment at the hands of the UVF two years ago. He had been lured to a meeting at the Monkstown club in Glengormley on the pretence of discussing allegations of drug dealing .

Once there he was dragged outside and hammered by five baseball bat-wielding thugs. Battered and broken , he was dumped in the grounds of a primary school.

The loyalist heavy needed metal pins inserted into his arms and legs.

The punishment style attack wasn’t sanctioned by the UVF leadership on the Shankill but, despite pleas from Moore, the organisation refused to move against their Mount Vernon team.

Moore was an outcast. Without the support and structure of the UVF he tried to make money as a small time drug dealer.

At one point he made a grovelling approach to the terror group through an intermediary pleading for a chance to wipe the record clean.

He pledged not to spill the beans on his paramilitary pals in return for sanctions being taken against those who left him a broken man two years ago.

Moore is believed to have been in contact with a small number of trusted friends before making an approach to an intermediary with channels of communication with the UVF leadership.

The former Irish League footballer – he lifted a league winners medal with Crusaders – is believed to have offered to withdraw any statements he has made against one time comrades and he will refuse to co-operate further in return for the UVF taking sanction against the likes of Elliott, McCartney and Miller.

The gang of three ordered the beating as a warning to Moore to stay out of the drugs trade in north Belfast, and Moore was told in no uncertain terms there was no way back for him.

Then in November Moore ‘disappeared.’

Security sources have indicated he has been in police custody and has agreed in principle, to spill the beans on his pals – on the condition police nail those behind the beating.

Den Elliott was arrested this week as he returned from holidaying at his caravan in Benidorm, while McCartney was detained at his north Belfast home.

Miller is believed to have taken in after cops called at his Mount Vernon home.

There are now real fears Moore will be presented in court alongside ex-brigadier Gary Haggarty who has already agreed to turn supergrass.

Moore was a prominent member of the notorious Mount Vernon unit of the UVF. Headed by Special Branch agent Mark Haddock it was riddled with security force informants.

Chief among them was Darren Moore. The Sunday World has previously revealed he was on Special Branch books for almost two decades.

No longer able to rely on the support of police handlers the likes of Haggarty and Moore will seek to limit their time behind bars by lifting the lid on a catalogue of paramilitary crimes.

Moore ‘disappeared’ last November amid reports that witnesses had seen him taken from his house by police. It had thought he was being kept under guard at Palace Barracks outside Holywood but other sources have told he us he is being kept at an address outside Northern Ireland.

He was one of the prime suspects in the attempted murder in 2006 of his one time Mount Vernon boss Mark Haddock.

Haddock survived despite being shot at close range and is currently in jail serving an eight year sentence for slashing the throat another one time UVF man Terry Fairfield.

Moore was also heavily involved in the murder of Raymond McCord jnr in 1997. The two had been friends but when McCord visited him in prison, nervous about having been ordered to a UVF meeting, Moore assured him he was only to receive a relatively light punishment attack.

Moore knew his friend’s fate, and McCord was brutally murdered in a quarry on the outskirts of the city.