NewsNorthern Ireland

Orangeman found guilty of GBH after injuring six with vehicle

The scene after Mr Aughey drove into a crowd
The scene after Mr Aughey drove into a crowd
John Aughey in his car at Ardoyne shops
John Aughey in his car at Ardoyne shops

An Orangeman has been found guilty of injuring six people when his car ploughed into a crowd in north Belfast.

 The incident happened on July 13, 2015, during a nationalist protest at the Ardoyne shops flashpoint.  

 An Orange parade had been banned by the Parades Commission from passing through the area. 

 John Alexander Aughey, 63, said that he had panicked as he was driving home, saying he thought his car was coming under attack from nationalist protestors. 

 He told the court: "I thought the crowd would get me and drag me out of the car or damage me while I was sitting in the car.

 "If I had got out of the car it would have been tantamount to committing suicide."

 A 16-year-old girl, Phoebe Clawson, sustained a fractured collarbone, pelvis and ankle in the incident. 

 Two police officers were also injured. 

 Mr Aughey, of Brae Hill Park, Belfast, will be sentenced for causing grievous bodily harm, actual bodily harm and common assault at a later date.

 He was freed on bail, but the judge said that should not be taken as an indication of the sentence he would receive. 

[email protected]