Mother-of-one murder accused refused bail
By Paul Higgins
A mother-of-one accused of murder was refused bail today (fri) amid fears that she would reoffend.
Remanding 23-year-old Shauneen Boyle back into custody, District Judge Mervyn Bayes said he was also concerned about her interfering
with the ongoing police investigation.
Boyle and 27-year-old Stephen Hughes are jointly charged with the murder of Owen Creaney in Craigavon on a date unknown between 4 - 5 July last year.
The charge arises after the badly beaten body of 40-year-old Mr Creaney was found hidden in a wheelie bin at the back of Hughes'
house at Moyraverty Court after a report of suspicious activity on the Saturday, although police believe that he may have been in the
bin for a number of days.
Speaking at the time of the gruesome discovery, Detective Chief Inspector Richard Campbell said Mr Creaney, who celebrated his 40th
birthday last week, was a "frail and vulnerable" member of our society who was disabled and used a walking aid.
He said it appeared that he "was the victim of a serious and sustained assault" and had initially survived the beating but later
died while in the bin.
Boyle and Hughes were arrested before officers uncovered the victims body in a green bin at the house and the court has heard that during
interviews, each blamed the other for the death, not withstanding the fact that Boyle had allegedly confessed to a witness that she had
assaulted Mr Creaney.
With Boyle appearing via video link today (fri), a detective sergeant have evidence that if released, there was a risk of further offending
as she had quite a substantial record in relation to violence and claimed she was possible flight risk as at one stage she was planning
to go and live with her father in Liverpool.
Murder victim Owen Creaney
Boyle's solicitor Peter Corrigan said police found body of victim because she told the where it was, adding that she did not stonewall
them but gave a detailed account of everything that happened.
A social worker who is in contact with the defendant on a regular basis gave evidence saying social services would have no objection to
her being released on bail and that Boyle was "100 per cent" committed to her son.
Judge Bates said he did not consider there was any flight risk but add that she faces a serious charge and he was concerned about the
risk of re-offending and interference with witnesses.
Boyle was remanded for a further video link appearance on May 8.