May 29th, 2016
NewsNorthern Ireland

'Hannibal' Haddock tried to slit my throat

Northern IrelandBy Jim McDowell
Terry Fairfield shows his scar after knife attack
Terry Fairfield shows his scar after knife attack
'Hannibal' Mark Haddock slashed his former pal
'Hannibal' Mark Haddock slashed his former pal
Terry Fairfield shows his scar to Jim McDowell
Terry Fairfield shows his scar to Jim McDowell
Terry Fairfield after getting stitches in hospital
Terry Fairfield after getting stitches in hospital

This is the man who ex-UVF psycho terror boss Mark ‘Hannibal’ Haddock tried to hack to death.

Terry Fairfield has told us how his former pal Haddock sliced him on his neck after chillingly telling him: ‘I’m going to kill you.’

Originally from the Tynedale estate in North Belfast, the former Catholic member of the UVF set up a new life in England as a barowner and successful businessman. 

Fairfield, once dubbed ‘The Mechanic’ in UVF ranks – a car sold by his garage in Belfast was used in the infamous UVF Loughinisland pub massacre – tried to help set up a new life for Haddock across the water. 

His ‘thanks’ for that came at 7.29p.m. outside the pub in Newport Pagnell, England, where he’s landlord last Saturday night.

Then Haddock, now 46 and the one time godfather of the notorious UVF 3rd  battalion based in Mount Vernon, and who is linked to a  dozen grisly murders back home, tried to slit Terry Fairfield’s throat. 

And, as our picture shows, he almost succeeded,

Just look at the fresh five-inch long scar running from behind Fairfield’s left ear – where Haddock stuck the point of a knife in – to under his chin. 

In an exclusive interview with Sunday World in his  quiet cul-de-sac home close to Luton yesterday, Terry Fairfield told us: “I’m now ashamed that I agreed to Haddock coming over here. 

“I was approached by someone close to him, who feared he was going to be the subject of another assassination attempt back home, I tried to help save his life.

“Instead, he ended up trying to take mine….”

As he speaks, the 57-year-old ex-heavyweight boxer points to the savage scar, which needed 27 stitches on the outside, and three internally to seal blood vessels cut in the crazed Saturday night slashing. 

And he chillingly says: “An inch lower, and Haddock would have left me for dead. 

“He would have sliced the jugular – and that would have been curtains for me.”

He says he has no doubt murder was on the mind of Haddock,  jailed in 2006 for 10 years for trying to batter to death Ballyclare doorman Trevor Gowdy four years earlier. 

He recalls: “He looked straight at me and coldly stated: ‘I’m going to kill you.’

“In a split second, he plunged the red-handled knife into my neck behind my left ear.”

Terry Fairfield says he felt no pain at that point. 

But he now believes the only thing that saved  him was his boxing training back in Belfast. 

“When he lunged at my head, I hit him with a left hook. 

“My hand, left arm and shoulder are still sore,” he says, as he twists round painfully on the settee.

He adds: “I connected  with that punch. It stunned Haddock. If it hadn’t, he’d have stabbed me to death.”

As it was Fairfield stumbled, blood gushing out of the gaping wound. 

Haddock fled in the car he’d used to get to Fairfield’s pub. 

His victim now says he believes Haddock stalked him. 

Fairfield says he had not seen Haddock for up to four weeks, having told him he wanted nothing more to do with him. 

And he insists Haddock had not  been drinking with him in the pub. 

He says on that fateful Saturday evening of January 25 last, he was planning to leave the bar and go with his partner of four years for a meal. 

But then, out of the blue, Haddock phoned him. 

“He asked me to go outside. I thought he just wanted to talk on the mobile.

“As it turned out, he had been waiting in a car. 

“He came towards me, confronted me, and told me straight to my face, looking into my eyes, that he was going to kill me.”

In spite of the parrying punch, Haddock sliced open the man who had tried to give him a new lease of  life. 

His victim was left lying on his pub forecourt, blood pumping for his neck, fighting for his own life. 

“I lost four pints of blood while waiting for the medics,” he recalls. 

“I felt myself going cold. I thought: ‘Don’t let yourself slip away here.’

“I heard a lad who was trying to stop the bleeding say: ‘We’re losing him.’

“I said to myself: ‘No, you’re not’.

It took an ambulance 25 minutes to get to him, but three doctors working on him saved his life.