Jeremy Clarkson's final scenes in Top Gear to be screened later this year
Jeremy Clarkson's final scenes in Top Gear will be screened later this year, according to the boss of BBC2.
Kim Shillinglaw said she was not thinking of his replacement "in terms of gender".
She said the scenes filmed before Clarkson was suspended for his attack on Oisin Tymon were likely to air this summer.
She said: "They simply weren't able to shoot enough material", but added: "No way would I want the available material not to be seen by viewers."
Asked about drafting in a woman to replace him, she said: "I worked a lot with female presenters and when I used to work in science that was something across the piste that I really wanted to tackle but I don't think I've ever approached an individual show thinking that was the way I want to cast it so I think it's an open book on that.
"We'll definitely look at some women, but it's not a driving priority."
The star was suspended by the BBC last month when he became the subject of an internal investigation after he attacked Top Gear producer Mr Tymon, splitting his lip and verbally abusing him.
Clarkson's contract was not renewed, with director-general Tony Hall saying ''a line has been crossed'' and ''there cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another''.
But the broadcasting veteran received widespread public support, including from friend David Cameron.
Earlier this month, North Yorkshire Police said that following an investigation Clarkson would face no further police action over his attack on the producer at a hotel.
Clarkson has said he is already thinking about his next television project.
He wrote in his column for the Sunday Times: ''I have lost my baby but I shall create another.
''I don't know who the other parent will be or what the baby will look like, but I cannot sit around any more organising my photograph album.''
Clarkson also revealed he was told he ''probably'' had cancer, two days before the ''fracas'' with Mr Tymon, although he has since been given the all-clear.
He said he considered turning his back on presenting altogether in the immediate fall-out from the incident.
He told the Sunday Times: ''Let's stop being silly and pick up the pieces and start again ... I just know I'm going to do another car show.''