Suicide bomber kills at least 25 new recruits inside police compound in Yemen
A suicide bomber killed at least 25 new recruits inside a police compound in the southern Yemeni city of Mukalla in an attack claimed by Islamic State, medical and security sources said.
The victims were queuing up to register when the bomb, which wounded 25 others, went off, sources said.
The Yemeni affiliate of Islamic State claimed the attack in a statement posted by sympathisers on social media networks.
It was the second deadly blast in four days to hit the city, a hub for al Qaeda before the militant group was pushed out last month in an offensive by Yemeni troops backed by a Saudi-led coalition.
In a message on its online news agency Amaq, Islamic State said Sunday’s attacker was a “martrydom-seeker” who had detonated his explosive belt. It said around 40 died in the attack.The US military announced last week it had deployed a small number of personnel to Yemen to aid in the fight against Aqap, its first troop presence in the country since the Houthi takeover.
Meanwhile, Islamic State militants have attacked a state-run natural gas plant outsideBaghdad, killing at least 12 people, officials said.
Police said the assault started at dawn with a suicide car bomber hitting the main gate of the plant in the town of Taji, about 20 kilometres miles north of the Iraqi capital.
Then several suicide bombers and militants broke into the plant and clashed with security forces.