Seven more people die after boat carrying migrants sinks off Libya’s coast
Another seven people have died after a boat carrying migrants sank off Libya’s coast today.
This is the second such fatal accident at sea within days, while European leaders struggled to find a coherent policy on the refugee crisis.
The Italian coastguard said that some 1,600 migrants had been rescued in the Mediterranean and brought to Italy over the weekend, showing the influx of people, mostly from Africa and the Middle East, remained strong.
At least 2,500 migrants have died making the journey since January, most of them drowning in the Mediterranean.
“We had reports this morning that there are seven bodies of illegal migrants that sank off Khoms . . . but we don’t have any details of how many migrants were on board,“ said Mohamad al-Misrati, a spokesman for the Red Crescent in Tripoli.
On Thursday, another vessel sank off the coast of the Libyan town of Zuwara, killing up to 200 people.
In Italy, which has been at the forefront of the crisis, prime minister Matteo Renzi said the rising death toll would push EU states to confront the problem.