Police arrest two more in Nice as France enters its second day of national mourning

Police arrest two more in Nice as France enters its second day of national mourning

Police investigating the killing of 84 people in Nice arrested two more people in the city as France entered its second of the three days of national mourning for the victims of the massacre.

A man and a woman were arrested in Nice on Sunday morning, bringing the total number of people detained over the killings to seven.

About 85 people remain in hospital after the attack, and 18 of them — including one child — are in a life-threatening condition, the French health minister said.

Marisol Touraine urged any survivors to seek counselling offered by the government after the Bastille Day attack .

Islamic State claimed it carried out the attack. In an online statement through news agency Amaq, it described the attacker, Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, as one of its “soldiers”carrying out the “operation in response to calls to target nationals of states that are part of the coalition fighting Islamic State”.

No Irish citizens were among the dead or wounded, according to the latest information available to Irish authorities. An Irishman who was missing since Thursday has been found safe and uninjured.

It is understood he was in the Far East all along.

The Department of Foreign Affairs said it received more than 60 enquiries expressing concern about one or more Irish citizens in the area. The vast majority of those concerned have been accounted for and are safe, it said.

However, the department is continuing to work to establish contact with a small number of people with whom contact has not yet been made. “The department has no reason to believe that any of these have been caught up in the incident,” a statement said.

The first three people arrested were detained after police special forces raided at least one address in Nice at 6am on Saturday.

A fourth man was arrested as part of the investigation on Friday night, while the ex-wife of the Tunisian who carried out the atrocity is also in police custody.

Some 25 people remained on life support today after the attack in which a lorry careered through crowds watching a Bastille Day fireworks display on the Promenade des Anglais in the Mediterranean city on Thursday night.

The driver, 31-year-old Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, was shot dead by police during the attack.

French authorities have yet to produce evidence that he had turned to radical Islam. Nevertheless, interior minister Bernard Cazeneuve said Bouhlel may have undergone a rapid change.