Pieta House to host series of free reflective events
AT the end of this month Pieta House will host “Misneach - Nourishing Hope" in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Kerry.
The reflective events are taking place on Sunday 27th November, on the cusp between the months of November (traditionally a month of remembrance, honour and reflection) and December (traditionally a month of hope, joy and celebration) – to create a space and time for people to honour and celebrate lives present and lives passed and to move into December and the Christmas season with hope and celebration.
The events are free of charge and people of all ages are welcome to attend.
The five venues this year are as follows:
- St Patrick’s Cathedral in Dublin (6pm)
- Pieta House Cork, Highfield Lawn, Bishopstown, Cork (4pm)
- The Augustine Church in Limerick (4pm),
- The Augustinian Church in Galway (3.30pm)
- Pieta House Bereavement Centre, McAuley Centre, Balloonagh in Tralee (4pm).
Pieta House CEO Brian Higgins says it’s symbolic that Misneach will take place in late November, just on the cusp of December.
“We chose this date to allow people to move into Christmas with a sense of hope. When people are gathered on the day we want to move from remembrance, honour and reflection into hope, joy and celebration," he said.
“At Pieta House, our values are to treat everyone with respect and dignity, to be rooted in compassion and care, to generate and nourish hope and to empower. We see Misneach as a real way to embody our values at Pieta House”
“Misneach - an ancient Irish word - means both ‘hope and courage’ and so we want to create a space for people who have been bereaved by suicide to reflect and celebrate the lives of people they’ve lost; and it’s also for people who can celebrate that they have worked through the issues that had brought them to a point of suicide but who can now move forward in a more hope-filled future”
“We would like to think that Misneach will also appeal to anyone who supports our work, anyone who has gone through our services or anyone who wants to support someone who has used our services."
So please join us in what is hoped will be an annual event from this November on, to honour the lives of people who have passed away and to celebrate the people that are still with us.
* Misneach – Nourishing Hope takes place on Sunday 27th November in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Tralee and Galway. Updates will be announced via www.pieta.ie, Twitter.com/pietahouse and Facebook.com/pietahouse. All five events are free, but people will be able to make a donation at ticket sign up or on the night if they wish.