NewsNews

Man dies after drinking detergent instead of wine

NewsBy Karl Doyle
Man dies after drinking detergent instead of wine

A bar owner has been arrested after a customer died when he drank a glass of dishwasher detergent instead of the wine he ordered, police have said.

Spaniard Andres Lorente ordered a glass of wine at a bar called Raconet in the coastal town of Benicarlo last Sunday but was instead given a toxic liquid which had been stored in a wine bottle in a fridge.

The 49-year-old suffered severe burns to his stomach and throat after taking a tiny amount of the colourless and odourless poison and was rushed to hospital.

However, he died soon after.

The café owner was arrested on manslaughter charges and police say he faces up to four years in prison if found guilty.