Man charged with possessing firearm in McGuigan murder investigation
A man has been charged for possession of a firearm by police investigating the murder of republican Kevin McGuigan.
The 53-year-old will appear at Lisburn Magistrate's Court this morning.
It has also been reported that mass murderer Sean Kelly, who was being quizzed by police in relation to the murder, has been released and plans to apply for compensation.
Three other men and a woman have been released unconditionally.
A 49-year-old man remains in custody and police arrested a 26-year-old yesterday.
Meanwhile, the DUP have written to the Secretary of State to ask that Sean Kelly's release licence as part of the Good Friday Agreement be revoked.
Nigel Dodds said: "Sean Kelly was handed nine life sentences for the Shankill bomb. He was a mass murderer and should never have been released from prison in the first place. His early release, along with the others at that time, was a corruption of justice.
"The arrest of Sean Kelly is deeply concerning for people in north Belfast, just as the murder in Short Strand last week was a worrying incident for Northern Ireland.
"As the First Minister said last week, the police must conduct this investigation in a rigorous manner and follow every lead without any consideration for the political environment."