Home Sweet Home co-founder to set up new campaign group after row
The homeless man who set up the Home Sweet Home that is occupying Apollo House in Dublin is to set up a new group after a row with fellow campaigners.
Home Sweet Home co-founder Quentin Sheridan told the Sunday World how he is sleeping in a doorway in the city centre after leaving Apollo House that he had helped occupy with his campaign group.
However, Mr Sheridan who it has emerged has multiple convictions for robbery, kidnap and aggravated burglary, said he is determined to kept the campaign going.
A spokesperson for the Apollo House occupiers confirmed that Sheridan (40) - who founded the original Home Sweet Home Facebook group in October, left Apollo House following an argument.
Mr Sheridan said the row occurred shortly after the occupation of the former NAMA-owned building in the run up to Christmas.
However, Sheridan who has served various prison sentences for a variety of crimes, is determined to set up a ‘Home Sweet Home 2’ group that will step in to help those in Apollo House if they are evicted by court order on Wednesday.
Referring to his previous convictions, including a 1998 jail term for his role in kidnapping and falsely imprisoning a man, Sheridan said he had made mistakes in his past.
“I’ve been in and out of trouble since those times but nothing as serious,” he admitted yesterday.
“Up until I kicked the habit last year I was still getting caught with little bits of drugs for personal use,” he said.
“But, look, I’ve made amends and even met some of the victims of my crimes.
“Now, I’m just trying to help others get off the streets.”
To that end Mr Sheridan stated that he has already organised a property in County Dublin that would be made available to the Apollo House inhabitants if a court hearing on Wednesday dictates that they must vacate the building.
“The struggle continues,” he added.