Ex-cop Barklie stuns hardened Chelsea fans as he urinates in hotel lobby

Richard Barklie
Richard Barklie

Race row ex-RUC man Ricky Barklie stunned even hardcore Chelsea fans when he bounced into the lobby of a London hotel recently and urinated on the carpet, a court was told earlier this week.

And when challenged by staff about his disgusting, drunken behaviour, a member of the hotel security team was told by Barklie’s friend: ‘F**k off, you f**king Chinese communist!’

The incident, which was recorded on CCTV, took place in the Ibis Hotel in Earls Court. Last night, a manager at the hotel told the Sunday World: “This was just one of many incidents.”

Chelsea fanatic Barklie (50), from Carrickfergus – a former RUC officer and PSNI detective – was previously filmed on a mobile phone in Paris surrounded by fellow fans chanting “We’re racist, we’re racist – and that’s the way we like it!”

The racist incident took place at a Metro station as Chelsea fans made their way to the London club’s Champions League clash with French side Paris Saint Germain last February.

Barklie, who worked on a part-time basis as a counsellor with the Belfast-based Wave Trauma Centre, as well as representing a worldwide human rights group which he helped found, was identified by the Sunday World days later.

The shocking incident caused outrage, with Barklie and other Chelsea fans branded as racists.

In an interview with the Sunday World the following week, Barklie strongly denied being a racist or that he sang racist songs. He insisted he only pushed Souleymane Sylla – the black passenger attempting to board the Paris Metro train – for his own safety.

And this week, Barklie again denied being racist, when he gave evidence to Stratford Magistrates Court in London, where the police were taking legal steps to ban him and three other Chelsea fans from attending future football matches.

Barklie and the others, Jordan Munday (20), Josh Parsons (20) and William Simpson (26), all deny wrongdoing.

A solicitor representing Ricky Barklie told the Magistrate: “As someone who has spent years working with the disadvantaged in Africa and India, he has a CV in human rights which undermines any suggestion that he is a racist.”

The cops also want to seize Barklie’s passport, which would render him banned from attending Chelsea matches abroad.

If the Magistrates Court uphold the ban, then Barklie – who holds a Stamford Bridge season ticket – could be barred from seeing Chelsea for three to five years.

The Sunday World can also reveal that during a visit to Leicester last April, where Chelsea were playing an away match, Barklie was observed by police in an intoxicated state at the local railway station.

He was spotted by Metropolitan Police officer PC Wright, who is involved in the case currently before the courts. A drunken Barklie was accompanied on that occasion by a friend, who approached PC Wright to ask: “Are you the c*** trying to ban him?”

Full details of both the Ibis Hotel and Leicester Station incidents were placed before the London court on Wednesday, but have remained unreported until now.
Urging the upholding of the ban against Barklie, the prosecution said it was “entitled to look at violence and disorder that is not directly football related”.

A lawyer revealed in court that the former police officer had a number of drink driving convictions, including one 10 years ago, for driving while disqualified.
The Magistrate reserved judgement in the matter.

Former RUC officer Barklie was caught up in an incident which resulted in the death of his close friend and police colleague Geoff Milligan.

In June 2000, Milligan was one of a number of officers involved in an early morning booze-up after completing a night shift at Antrim Road RUC Station.

Barklie – who wasn’t involved in the drinking – agreed to give the officers a lift in his car to a pub when he showed up for his shift.

But when he reached the police car park, Barklie discovered Milligan had already driven off. After dropping the other officers off, he spotted his friend’s car approaching a nearby set of traffic lights.

The two officers exchanged waves, but suddenly Milligan drove his car forward without waiting for a green filter light.

As he did so, his car was struck side-on by a fully laden tipper truck. In the impact, officer Milligan was killed instantly.

In the aftermath, Barklie was questioned by senior officers about his role in the run-up to the tragedy.

He later declined to say if the incident had any bearing on his decision to leave the police, saying only: “I left on medical grounds.”