NewsNews

CNN apologises after image of Vladimir Putin is screened during news segment on alleged Isis executioner Jihadi John

NewsBy Neil Fetherston
Ooops!
Ooops!

CNN has apologised after an image of Vladimir Putin was screened during a news segment on an alleged Isis executioner known as Jihadi John.

A picture of the masked man, who appears in beheading videos of at least five hostages, was followed by an image of the Russian prime minister looking somewhat annoyed.

A technical glitch that showed Putin’s face on screen during the live news broadcast above a caption that read: “Jihadi John identified”.

Jihadi John has been identified as Mohammed Emwazi, 26, from west London. He studied computer science before becoming known to UK intelligence agencies over links to Islamic militants.

The Washington Post published his identity in February and Prime Minister David Cameron called for his capture after other news organisations followed suit.

CNN, however, made the blunder on Thursday during correspondent Max Foster’s report on Kuwaiti-born Emwazi, who has had a $10 million bounty on his head and is now subject to an international manhunt.

“I think, certainly there are concerns now about hostages being put at risk, and about eventually prosecuting this man, Jihadi John, in the future,” said Foster, while unaware of the photo mix-up beside him. CNN told Russian news agency TASS, according to channel Russia Today.

“Due to a failure of a video server during the breaking news broadcast, a photo of Vladimir Putin, prepared for our next report, was accidentally shown. We apologise for that mistake.”

According to RT, this is not the first time that CNN was subject to scrutiny after making mistakes related to Russia.

Earlier last month, CNN accidentally annexed Ukraine to Russia.

It showed a map in which Ukraine and Russia was highlighted in the same colour with the Russian flag superimposed on it.

Meanwhile, the British man identified in reports as the Islamic State (IS) executioner known as “Jihadi John” feared he was a “dead man walking” after run-ins with security services before fleeing to Syria to begin his reign of terror, email exchanges with a journalist have claimed.

Computer programming graduate Mohammed Emwazi said he considered suicide after coming face to face with what he suspected to be a British spook as he attempted to sell a laptop computer in 2010.

In an email exchange with the Mail on Sunday (MoS) at the time, Emwazi described how he became suspicious of the mystery buyer after they met.

It was also claimed Emwazi was part of a cell orchestrated by Osama Bin Laden to wreak terror on the streets of London, including having a role in the failed July 21 bomb attacks in 2005, three weeks after the 7/7 bombings which killed 52 people and injured more than 700.

He told the MoS’s security editor Robert Verkaik he felt harassed by security services, in a series of emails in 2010, three years before he left to join IS, saying:

“Sometimes I feel like a dead man walking, not fearing they (MI5) may kill me.