Berkeley survivors say thanks for support received with online posts

Sean Fahey
Sean Fahey

Survivors of the Berkeley tragedy have posted 'thank you' messages online for the support they have received in the past three days.

Niall Murray (below) (21) and Sean Fahey (main pic) (21) were both injured in the incident on Tuesday which left six of their close friends dead.

The duo were at a 21st birthday with friends when the balcony of the fourth-storey apartment collapsed, killing six young people and injuring seven.

Both Niall Murray and Sean Fahey described the last few days as a 'dark time'.

“Thanks everyone for the support in such a dark time,” Sean wrote on his Facebook page.

He also uploaded an image of street art which displayed the words “Berkeley six, rest in peace”, in honour of his friends who died. 

Niall also posted a message to his Facebook page, thanking 'everyone across the world' for the support. He also paid tribute to his friends that were lost in the incident.

“Thank you to everyone across the world for all the support you have given us through this dark time. To Nick, Culli, Lorcan, Eimear, Olivia and Ashley, words can not describe how much we are going to miss you all. May you rest in peace forever xxx,” he said.

Irish Consul General Philip Grant has said that the Irish community in California has come together in "solidarity and support" following the balcony tragedy that occurred in Berkeley earlier this week.

Ashley Donohoe (22), Olivia Burke (21), Eoghan Culligan (21), Niccolai (Nick) Schuster (21),  Lorcan Miller (21) and  Eimear Walsh (21) were killed when the fourth-floor balcony of an apartment complex on Kittredge Street collapsed on Monday night.

Mr Grant said there was a “sense of shared grief, shared pain” in the Bay area where a vigil for the deceased was held last night.

Standing outside the apartment complex in Berkeley, he said that "there is no hierarchy here in terms of pain and suffering".

“An enormously moving vigil was organised by the J1 students last night. It's universal; these are all our families at the moment, these are all out children."

The bodies of the six students are expected to be released to their families once all formalities are completed.

American procedures for this process take more time and more formalities than in Ireland but the indications are that this stage is close to completion.

That will pave the way for the next phase of repatriating the remains to Ireland for funerals likely to take place next week.

Mr Grant said that his department are "working collectively to make sure that when we can, when we’re in a position to bring the families home, that this will be done as quickly as possible.”

He said authorities are working to make sure that the families have “everything that they need”.

The Consul General reiterated his gratitude towards the "incredible" accident support services and the hospitals tasked with caring for the seven students who were seriously injured in the tragedy.

Niall, along with Jack Halpin (21), Hannah Waters (21), Aoife Beary (21), Clodagh Cogley (21), Sean Fahey (21) and Conor Flynn (22), were hospitalised following the incident.

"I can't express to people back home the support over here. They are at our side," Mr Grant told Six One news.

A special wing has been set up for the grieving J1 students in one of the hospitals, where they have a kitchen and a room to stay.

Mr Grant said the prognosis of the injured students may not be known for a number of weeks. “They’re fighters,” he said.