A man has died trying to save his brother from the Tube tracks

Tragic: The man died trying to save his brother from the Tube tracks
Tragic: The man died trying to save his brother from the Tube tracks

A man has died after being hit by a Tube train as he tried to save his brother, who had fallen on to the tracks.

The 35-year-old from London was trying to pull his 32-year-old brother to safety at London Underground's Old Street station when they were both struck.

British Transport Police (BTP) said they are not treating the incident as suspicious, adding that it appeared to be a "tragic accident".

The London man was taken to the Royal London Hospital, where he later died.

Police officers are appealing for witnesses to the incident, which happened at 12.20am on Sunday.

Matthew Pabon, a consultant from Clapham Junction, told the BBC he was waiting on the platform on his way home from Shoreditch when he saw one of the the men "jumping really close to the line".

"I was really close, on the same platform in front of them. Just waiting for the Tube," he said.

"One of them was jumping really close to the line and then he slipped on to the tracks.

"Before it happened I was really worried the man might fall.

"The train was just seconds from coming. That was what stopped me from trying to help. I froze."

"The guy who was trying to save him was on the edge of the platform trying to pick him up with his hands but it was too late, the train came 20 seconds later," Mr Pabon said.

Another witness, Robert Brown, said: "I'm a trainee accountant and I'm 24. Thirty-five is no age to die."

BTP said officers discovered the two men with serious injuries after being called to the station, adding: "The men, one aged 32 from Manchester and the other aged 35 from London, were treated at the scene by colleagues from the London Ambulance Service and then taken to Royal London Hospital in a critical condition.

"The 35-year-old man from London died in hospital later that day. The 32-year-old man from Manchester remains in a stable but critical condition.

"Officers are not currently treating the incident as suspicious and are now working to put together a fuller picture of what happened."

Investigating officer Detective Sergeant Adrian Naylor said: "I am keen to speak to anyone who was at the station or on the platform when the incident happened to help us understand how the two men came to be struck by a train."