News

‘Mistake entirely mine’ says security boss after Old Trafford bomb scare

Chris Reid
Chris Reid

The head of the firm which left a dummy bomb at Manchester United's Old Trafford stadium said he took full responsibility for the blunder which led to thousands of people being evacuated from the ground.

Chris Reid, the managing director of Security Search Management & Solutions Ltd, said he took full responsibility for the fake explosive which sparked Sunday's security alert and forced the postponement of United's Premier League game against Bournemouth.

The dummy bomb, initially described by police as an "incredibly lifelike explosive device", was left behind after a training exercise last week.

Speaking outside his home in Biggin Hill, south east London, an emotional Mr Reid, a retired Scotland Yard police officer, said: "This mistake is entirely mine. I have to take full responsibility for leaving a training item behind on Wednesday."

Mr Reid said the device had been left on a hook behind a door of a men's toilet cubicle and "was not concealed in any other way".

He added: "I am absolutely devastated that a lapse in my working protocols has resulted in many people being disappointed, frightened and inconvenienced. Nothing I can say will rectify that."