Manhunt underway as identity of Brussels terror suspect revealed
The Brussels airport attacker still at large is Najim Laachraoui, 25, a man already sought by the police since Monday, it is being reported.
Laachraoui's DNA has been found in houses used by the Paris attackers last year, prosecutors said on Monday, and he had traveled to Hungary in September with Paris attacks prime suspect Salah Abdeslam.
The two suicide bombers who carried out the attacks in Brussels airport on Tuesday were brothers Khalid and Brahim El Bakraoui, Brussels residents known to the police for crime, the RTBF public broadcaster said, quoting an unnamed source.
Khalid, under a false name, had rented the flat in the Forest borough of the Belgian capital where police killed a gunman in a raid last week, RTBF said.
Investigators found after that raid an Islamic State flag, an assault rifle, detonators and a fingerprint of Paris attacks prime suspect Salah Abdeslam, who was arrested three days later.
Both brothers have a criminal records, but have not been linked by the police to terrorism until now, RTBF said.
A manhunt was under way last night for the third member of a team of attackers responsible for bringing carnage to Brussels airport yesterday, as the Belgian capital suffered a string of bombings by jihadists that left 34 dead.
Investigators were urgently seeking one of the trio - clad in a thick light-coloured jacket with a black hat and thick glasses - after announcing that his two apparent accomplices were believed to have died in the suicide attack, which claimed 14 lives and wounded 100.
The discovery of an unexploded suicide vest at the international hub led to speculation last night that the wanted suspect may have pulled out of the assault at the last moment.
Belgium shut down its airports and train network in response to the attacks and stepped up security at its nuclear power plants. The Belgian authorities warned against all travel to its capital.
The European capital has entered its second day of mourning over the terror attacks that shook Europe, killing 34 people and injuring at least 198 - including two Britons.
The first confirmed fatality was mother-of-two Adelma Tapia Ruiz, 37, from Peru.
Others have been reported missing following the double blast in the Belgian capital's Zaventem Airport, and the subsequent explosion on a tube train at Maelbeek Metro station. Among them was Brussels commuter David Dixon, originally from Hartlepool, who failed to arrive at work on Tuesday morning.
Investigators are focusing on whether CCTV footage captured moments before the airport blasts shows two of the three suspected terrorists wearing single gloves to secrete detonators. Zaventem's mayor said the explosives were stowed in their luggage and detonated before reaching the security gate.