Man critical after falling from ladder while putting up lights for mother’s funeral


A man is in a critically ill condition in hospital after he fell from a ladder while fixing lights at his mother's home ahead of her funeral.

The man, in his forties, fell from the ladder yesterday afternoon not long after he heard of his mother's unexpected death at St Vincent;s Hospital, Dublin.

The married father-of-two was airlifted to Beaumont Hospital, the Connaught Telegraph reports this evening.

The newspaper reports the man sustained severe head injuries in the fall.

It is understood the man was putting up lights outside the family home so the house would be lit up for those calling to sympathise.

The local community of Cloonfad, on the Roscommon/Mayo border, is said to be in shock following the incident.