Man arrested in connection with Cork shooting

Ciara Sheehan
Ciara Sheehan

GARDAÍ investigating the shooting of a young woman in Cork have arrested a third person.

A man in his 60s was detained this afternoon and can be questioned for an initial period of 24 hours.

A 29 year old man and a 21 year old woman were both detained last Sunday just one hour after the shooting of Ciara Sheehan (21) in Knocknaheeny.

The young woman was released yesterday without charge but the 29 year old man remains in custody at Gurranabraher Garda Station.

His detention period was extended last night by a further 24 hours.

The young man was arrested under the Offences Against the State Act.

The development came as it emerged Ms Sheehan might have been left paralysed if a gunshot wound to her neck had been just 1cm to the side.

Gardaí have recovered a firearm which they suspect was used in the attack which left Ms Sheehan (21) with neck and throat injuries last Sunday.

She is now in a serious but stable condition in Cork University Hospital (CUH) as Gardaí admitted she was not the intended target of a terrifying early morning gun attack on a family home in Knocknaheeny, Cork.

The hand gun recovered yesterday by gardaí will now undergo a detailed forensic and ballistic examination to determine if it was the weapon used in the attack.

Gardai are also investigating whether attacks on two other houses on Cork's northside may be linked to the incident.

Ms Sheehan was sitting watching TV with a friend in a house in the Hollywood Estate when a firearm was discharged through the sitting room window.

The attack occurred at 12.30am on Sunday and came moments after a rock had been thrown through a glass front door.

It was the latest in a series of terrifying attacks on the family living in the property.

Ms Sheehan suffered a blast injury to her throat and neck.

Doctors at CUH performed emergency surgery and she is now expected to make a full recovery.

Earlier today her family released a shocking image of her in her hospital bed.