Luas strikes cancelled for tomorrow and Friday
Springsteen fans will be relieved after strikes at the Luas tomorrow and Friday have been cancelled.
A notice on Transdev's website says a four-hour stoppage due to take place tomorrow from 3pm to 7pm has been called off.
A 24-hour stoppage on Friday has also been cancelled.
The Labour Court this morning invited both parties in for exploratory talks in a bid to end the dispute.
Siptu met with the General Secretary of the Irish Congress of Trade Unions, Patricia King, on Monday to brief her on the row that has led to 12 days of strikes.
Ms King and Luas operator Transdev then met to discuss both sides’ stance, and decide if a hearing is worthwhile.
In a statement, Siptu said it would attend a Labour Court meeting tomorrow.
“Given this welcome initiative from the Labour Court, the work stoppages by SIPTU LUAS Drivers scheduled for tomorrow and Friday have been cancelled," said SIPTU Transport, Energy, Aviation and Construction Division Organiser, Owen Reidy.
The cancellations will bring massive relief to Dublin commuters, Bruce Springsteen fans who will be making their way to Croke Park on Friday evening, and Irish soccer fans heading to the Aviva stadium for the clash against the Netherlands on Friday.
The sides have been deadlocked for weeks in the row over pay increases.
He said Siptu representatives along with members of the LUAS Driver Committee and ICTU officials will attend the meeting
Last week, a Siptu shop steward said drivers had decided to ballot for an all-out strike within two weeks.
But Siptu said that no decision has been taken on a date to begin voting.
Official Owen Reidy said drivers had agreed to ballot if shop stewards decided it was necessary.
He confirmed that the drivers’ committee of Siptu and union officials had briefed Ms King and she would speak to the court on their behalf.
Meanwhile, Siptu members have requested a meeting with STT Risk management concerning a pay claim by security workers working on the Luas.
SIPTU Sector Organiser, Diane Jackson, said the move follows the rejection of a Labour Court recommendation relating to a proposed pay rise by union members.
She said there has been no decision made on a strike ballot.
“The request for discussions is part of an ongoing industrial relations process which is aimed at finding an agreed resolution to the outstanding issues,” she said.