Killer was among group of people taking pics at the beach just before the attack

Chilling: Images of the shooter at the scene of the rampage in Tunisia
Chilling: Images of the shooter at the scene of the rampage in Tunisia

A British tourist has described watching a group of people behaving in a "strange" and "weird" way shortly before the Tunisian beach massacre.

Lee Inwood, 43, from Ashill in Norfolk, was holidaying at the RIU Bellevue - one of the hotels attacked - and told how his wife Angela came face to face with the "ugly" terrorist - Kalashnikov-wielding student Seifeddine Rezgui - soon before he went on the rampage in Sousse.

The couple are safe and well, and are back on UK soil, but describing how his wife is coping, Mr Inwood said: "She's a mess, an absolute mess."

Having seen images of the killer in the aftermath of the atrocity, Mr Inwood said his wife recognised the killer from a group of people on the beach, who the pair had seen behaving strangely.

He said the group were taking photographs of each other squatting down next to children without permission and pictures of various people on sun loungers.

The group - thought to be locals - were in their late teens to early or mid twenties, and Mr Inwood said they were "just hanging around outside the hotel".

He said this was unusual because there is an "unwritten rule" that local people tend to stick to a separate area of the beach.

"Straight away when they were there, I thought, 'oh, that's strange'," he said, adding that when they started behaving in an unusual way he then thought: "This is really strange. This is weird. It doesn't feel right at all."

Mr Inwood said the pictures they were taking "weren't right".

Not long before this, Angela had stumbled over a child's spade next to the group and had noticed the killer because she can "remember thinking how ugly he was", Mr Inwood said.

"He just stood out," he said.

He went into the hotel and told a member of staff about the group but they did not seem alarmed by what he was telling them.

Investigators have confirmed they are searching for one or more accomplices to the attack, and the interior ministry's spokesman said it was "sure" the attacker, who was killed, had help.

Mr Inwood said he does not believe it was a lone wolf attack, adding that one of the most senior members of hotel staff told him there were three people involved.

"It didn't feel like a lone person attack at all," Mr Inwood said.

He explained it took police an hour to arrive on the scene despite a checkpoint stationed nearby.

Mr Inwood said he disagreed with British tourists who wanted to stay in Sousse as an act of defiance, saying: "We are the target. We're the target for them. We're making ourselves an easy target for them by putting ourselves in that situation.

"And I just think it's crazy."

He described one member of hotel staff as a "hero" for his efforts in moving children to safety, but he said some other employees were concerned about the hotel closing and potentially losing their jobs.

He said staff pleaded with him: "Please come back."

Minister for Foreign Affairs Charlie Flanagan confirmed an Irish couple missing since Friday's massacre are among the dead as had been feared.

An Irish mother-of-two, Lorna Carty, from Robinstown, Co Meath, had already been named as a victim of the massacre.

The other victims, named locally as Laurence and Martina Hayes, both aged in their 50s, from Athlone in Co Westmeath, were holidaying in the resort when they were shot dead by the killer.