News

Homeless man found dead in Dublin hospital had been drinking hand sanatiser

NewsBy Morgan Flanagan Creagh
Homeless man found dead in Dublin hospital had been drinking hand sanatiser

A homeless man who was found in a disused ward of a Dublin hospital had been drinking hand sanitiser, an inquest has heard.

34-year-old Krzysztof Krzywickiw as found on a toilet beside a bottle of sanitising gel in St Agnes’ ward in the Mater Hospital on the 9th of April 2014.

The body was there for a number of days before it was found by cleaner Noleen Barry in a state of decomposition.

Mr Krzywickiw died of acute alcohol poisoning, with a blood alcohol level of 840 mls per 100g of blood, the inquest head.

“It maybe something he found in the ward. He seemed to have a particular propensity for sanitizer gel, but he must have been drinking spirits also to reach that level, said Coroner Brian Farrell

According to his medical records, the Polish national had been treated at the hospital for alcohol related issue a week earlier.

Mr Krzywicki was pronounced dead at the scene and removed to the morgue.