Dublin Halloween stab victim was trying to stop fight

Lorcan O'Reilly
Lorcan O'Reilly

It is believed that Lorcan O'Reilly (21) was trying to stop a fight that had broken out at Oliver Bond flats in the south inner city at about 2.30am on Sunday when he was stabbed to death.

He received a single stab wound to the heart and was rushed to St James's Hospital but he was pronounced dead a short time later.

No arrests have yet been made in relation to the killing.

Sources have revealed that gardaí are investigating whether the stabbing was carried out by a 15-year-old boy who has links to gangland figure 'Fat' Freddie Thompson.

Garda were last night ­attempting to make contact with the chief suspect but local reports indicate that he may have already fled abroad.

The teenager and his juvenile associates have been involved in a number of violent incidents across the south inner city over the past year.

A family friend described Lorcan - nicknamed 'Squeaky' by his pals - as "a great young man", adding that his loved ones had been left devastated by his death.

"You couldn't say anything bad about Lorcan, he was a great young man who wouldn't hurt a fly," they said.

"All he was trying to do was stop a fight from happening, and his family have been left ­absolutely distraught."

Lorcan lived in Robert ­Emmet Close in Dublin's south inner city and sources say that he comes from a "highly ­respectable" family.

His tragic death was one of six violent knife attacks on a night of chaos in the ­capital which have also left two men fighting for their lives in ­hospital.

A 22-year-old man is in ­a "critical" condition in James Connolly Memorial Hospital after he was stabbed several times while attending a bonfire in west Dublin.

The incident occurred ­shortly after 7.30pm on ­Saturday night in the Dromheath estate, Blanchardstown.

Gardaí from Blanchardstown are investigating the stabbing but no arrests have yet been made.

The other man fighting for his life was attacked with knives and hurleys in Clarehall, north Dublin.

Gardai responded to a public order call-out at approximately 1.10am yesterday morning after receiving reports of a mass brawl involving a number of men.

When officers arrived at the scene in Clarehall they ­discovered a 25-year-old man with serious stab wounds.

He was rushed to Beaumont Hospital where he was last night undergoing emergency surgery. Two others received minor injuries in the incident.

Separately, a 31-year-old Coolock man suffered non-life threatening stab wounds in Darndale shortly after 3am yesterday.

Gardaí from Coolock are investigating both incidents.

In an unrelated attack, a ­teenager has been left with "scars for life" after being stabbed in the face in ­Beaumont Hospital's Accident and ­Emergency department.

The incident is believed to be linked to a family dispute, with the man's brother-in-law also brought to the hospital earlier that evening after being stabbed in the arm at a Swords halting site.

A source said the emergency department descended into chaos during the incident.

A hospital spokeswoman said the incident involved "a number of patients who were accompanied to the Emergency Department by the gardaí.

The incident was managed and brought under control by gardaí and assisted by ­Beaumont security staff".

The spokeswoman ­added: "Planned protocols were ­followed to bring the ­situation under control and ensure ­patient and staff safety."