News

Gardai release more information about Sunset House shooters

NewsBy Sunday World
Garda Deputy Commissioner John Twomey at the briefing this morning
Garda Deputy Commissioner John Twomey at the briefing this morning

At a press briefing today gardai have released additional information about the men they believe carried out the brutal slaying of Michael Barr in a pub in Dublin last night.

Barr was shot at least three times in the Sunset House pub on Summerhill Parade at around 9.15pm last night.

The 34-year-old was a dissident republican who may have been supplying weapons to the Hutch mob, sources said last night.

It’s understood he was an associate of the shooter at the Regency Hotel in February, who has been nicknamed ‘Flat Cap’.

Barr, who was originally from Tyrone, had been living on Dublin’s northside and was a major target for the Special Detective Unit.

Sources said that Barr’s house was raided by gardai last week.

Detectives are now probing whether the shooting is linked to the bitter gangland war between the Hutch mob and the Kinahan cartel.

At a briefing today, gardai revealed that a silver Audi A6, registration 04 C 17738, was used in the attack.

After the shooting it left the scene before coming to a halt on Walsh Road.

The two gunmen were described as skinny and were wearing masks when they walked in to the pub where they blasted Barr.

Gardai also issued an appeal regarding the slaying of Tom Farnan in a separate gun murder in Clondalkin last night.

Farnan was gunned down in his home about two hours after the incident at Sunset House.

Superintendent Brendan Connolly from Blanchardstown Station is leading the investigation into the murder of Tom Farnan.

He said: “We’re appealing for witnesses, for those who were in the Kilcronan close area ask them any info or notice anything suspicious to contact us at Clondalkin garda station.

“Gardai from Clondalkin were at the scene within approximately two minutes, and uniformed garda did provide CPR to the injured man. They were then assisted by paramedics and personnel from DFB but unfortunately their efforts were not successful.

“Its very early stage in the investigation to come to any definitive conclusion and we must keep an open mind.

“The victim was a 37-year-old man who lived in the Kilcronan close area. He would have been known to us at an earlier stage in his life. Again this is a very early stage of the investigation and we are exploring quite a number of possibilities.

“As you have seen from the estate it is quite a large area the from where the incident occurred is along the canal and we must examine along that area to ensure we recover all and any evidence that may have been left behind."

Deputy Commissioner John Twomey said the murders of Michael Barr (35) and Tom Farnan "have no place in a normal society".

Speaking at a joint press conference today Dep Comm Twomey said: "An Garda Siochana leave no stone unturned in bringing the perpetrators of these acts to Justice.

"The presence of highly armed patrols will continue our investigations will continue our intelligence gathering will continue these incidents only serve to strengthen the resolve of AGS."

He also issued an appeal to all communities to work with gardaí to "rid society of these acts".