Gardai issue warning to motorists as weather conditions wreak havoc on Irish roads
As heavy rain and hail showers are forecast this evening, the gardai have appealed to road users to take extra care on the roads and for drivers to always drive at a speed appropriate to the conditions.
The heavy rain and hail showers will create potentially hazardous conditions for road users.
There was a serious 14-car collision caused by adverse weather conditions near Cork city this afternoon.
Road users are advised:
- It takes longer to stop a vehicle on wet roads so slow down and allow extra distance between you and the vehicle in front.
- Heavy hail showers will make roads slippery, increase stopping distances and reduce visibility.
- Take special care when driving behind trucks or buses as they generate a considerable amount of spray which reduces your visibility.
- Watch out for vulnerable road users such as pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists.
- Pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists are advised to be seen. Wear bright clothing with reflective armbands or a reflective belt.
- Pedestrians should walk on a footpath, and if there is no footpath, walk on the right hand side of the road facing oncoming traffic.