Gardai investigate vandalism of Remembrance Wall at Glasnevin
A special Remembrance Wall listing the names of all who lost their lives in the 1916 Rising has been vandalised at Glasnevin Cemetery.
Gardai at Mountjoy Garda Station are investigating the paint attack on the Necrology Wall, which was unveiled last year as part of the 1916 centenary commemoration.
The incident happened sometime on Saturday night into Sunday morning, and was discovered at 9.30am yesterday morning, when staff opened the cemetery to the public.
The affected part of the wall was immediately covered up as cemetery management contacted gardai and organised a team of cleaners to restore it after it had been examined by detectives.
“Glasnevin Trust can confirm that the Necrology Wall, unveiled as part of the 1916 centenary commemoration and listing the names of all who lost their lives in the Rising, was vandalised at Glasnevin Cemetery during the night,” a cemetery spokesman said.
“This was an act of callous vandalism.
“Glasnevin Trust is currently engaging with the gardai on the matter and will not be commenting further at this time.”
Gardai at Mountjoy confirmed to the Herald that the matter had been reported to them and an investigation is ongoing.
The Archbishop of Dublin, the Most Reverend Dr Michael Jackson, also expressed sorrow at the news of the vandalism.
“I was invited to take part in the Inter Faith Act of Worship for the dedication of the wall erected during the centenary of 1916," he said.
"It is a historic record of all those who died in the rebellion from whatever perspective they came - we remembered them all. The families involved in this initiative showed great courage and I express sadness and distress for them at this time."