News

Gardai identify two career criminals believed to have carried out brutal attack on sisters

NewsBy Shuki Byrne
Sickening: The girls needed hospital treatment following the 20-hour ordeal
Sickening: The girls needed hospital treatment following the 20-hour ordeal

Gardai have identified two career criminals who are believed to have carried out a sickening attack on two sisters from Dublin.

The incident is believed to have occurred between 9pm on Thursday 14th May, and 2pm Friday 15th May, 2015.

Amy (21) and Nicole Rice (19) found themselves the subject of an horrific ordeal after meeting two men they made contact with through social media. 

They met the two men, aged 25 and 30, at a bus stop and were brought to an apartment in Newbridge town centre shortly after 7.30pm on Thursday. 

Soon after, Amy said one of the men, who is originally from Crumlin in Dublin started "acting weird". 

“His demeanour changed and he started talking about how he had been in jail before,” she said.

At around 8pm the men launched into a frenzied attack on the two young woman - tying them up and gagging them in the process.

“They started to get aggressive, and my sister got up to leave at about 8pm. One of them pulled her hair, pushed her to the ground and started kicking her in the head.”

The Tallaght women revealed last night that they also suffered knife wounds during the attack.

Following the horrific 20-hour ordeal the girls were let go and told if they ever spoke of it they, along with their families, would be killed. 

The sisters received a lift on Friday afternoon,from a man driving an orange coloured car in Newbridge to Tallaght Hospital. The scene was preserved and technically examined, Gardai said. 

Gardaí confirmed last night that the apartment on Francis Lane in Newbridge, where the alleged incident occurred, has been sealed off.

A source revealed that when they arrived, they found that the locks had been changed. However, the men were nowhere to be found.

They also said the men, both of whom are "very well known" to Gardaí, had made an attempt to clean the flat.

However, a small amount of blood was found in the rented property.

Speaking to the Herald, the girls said they fear what will happen to them when they are released from hospital. 

“We are very sore,” she said, “and we’re worried about what will happen when we get released from hospital.

“We have been threatened and told not to go back to Tallaght for talking to the guards.”

Gardaí are appealing for witnesses or anyone with information, particularly the gentleman who transported the injured women to Tallaght Hospital from Newbridge to contact them at Newbridge Garda Station on 045 - 440180, the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666111 or any Garda Station.

Read: Girls describe horrific 20-hour ordeal.